Friday, August 8, 2008

Cuil? WTF!

Few days ago a new search engine was published, and many media covered the it. I supposed for that, that it should be something important, but I think that in few days it'll only be important for its creators. Why I think that? Well, here you have my arguments for that conclusion.

From Cuil: "Cuil searches more pages on the Web than anyone else—three times as many as Google and ten times as many as Microsoft."

From Google: "when our systems that process links on the web to find new content hit a milestone: 1 trillion (as in 1,000,000,000,000) unique URLs on the web at once!"

From myself:  1,000,000,000,000 * 3 = 3,000,000,000,000

From Alexa: "Vaig.be has a traffic rank of 1,163,358"

Conclusion:  You're supposed to have 1 trillion pages, and you don't have my blog, that is the 1 million page more visited around the world? WTF!

3 comments:

  1. Cuil definitely made some hefty claims, and it's hard to imagine them doing anything but incremental changes to what Google's done. Even that would take years of effort.

    Me.dium.com has taken a different tack. We have a full web index, but we change the results based on the surfing activity of our user base (now over 2,000,000). It's in alpha, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. http://me.dium.com/search

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I just did some test searches with me.dium.com and I really liked the results I got. The only problem that I had is performance (not too much, and acceptable for an alpha version).

    So, Congratulations! I'll try to use it when doing real searches, and may be I'll give you extra feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marc-
    Thanks much for taking the time to check us out! Much appreciated! If you ever spend some more time with Me.dium, we would love additional feedback. (My email is Jboyle@me.dium.com)

    Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete